University of Louisiana at Lafayette® has been the formal and official name of the University since 1999. Please use it in first reference to the University in text. UL Lafayette may be used as an abbreviation to refer to the University when clarification is necessary.
- Do not refer to the University as ULL in any instance.
- Do not use the terms Lafayette or U of L, as they denote other institutions.
Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns® is the nickname of the University’s athletic teams. Teams also may be referred to using shorter versions of that nickname. In most cases, Ragin’ Cajuns plural is proper, though Ragin’ Cajun in the singular form can apply.
Please include a registered symbol (®) as a subscript for the first reference of the terms University of Louisiana at Lafayette® and Ragin’ Cajuns® in text. The registered symbol must appear in every use of the logos.
- Laf or L (instead of Lafayette), La or LA (instead of Louisiana)
- Hyphens or commas in the name, abbreviation, or nickname
- Ragin Cajuns (without the apostrophe)
- Lady Cajuns (former name of the women’s teams)
Logos and Name Use
All uses of the University’s name, department names, nicknames, logos and visual marks (including the Ragin' Cajuns® family of marks) or any likenesses, including but not limited to advertising, stationery, websites, cobranding, facilities or apparel, must be approved by the Office of Communications and Marketing.
Internal uses of the University's name for academic or educational purposes, such as syllabi or course materials, do not need to be approved by Communications and Marketing.