Tactical Navigation

Get the latest information about UL Lafayette's continuing response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

You are here


The University plans to have in-person classes on campus this fall semester. The Ragin' Cajun Resiliency Plan Task Force engaged in scenario-based planning for recovery and reopening to respond to any contingency.

Decisions about courses, classrooms, resources, and safety are being discussed. As decisions are made, the University will update campus via email, social media, and on this website. Visit the student section of our COVID-19 website for a comprehensive list of updates and changes. Check back frequently for updates.

What's on this page

Will classes be on campus or online this summer?

There will be multiple types of classes for the summer. These include on-campus, remote, HyFlex, online, and hybrid. Learn more about the different types of classes.

Why do some online classes have a fee while others do not?

Since 2010, online and hybrid courses have had an additional fee. This fee provides specialized online learning technology and training for faculty to earn a certificate in online instruction. It also funds electronic library collections. Remote and HyFlex courses do not include this fee because they are temporarily online in response to COVID-19.

If I do not feel safe going to class because I am immunocompromised or protecting a household member's health, can I take my courses remotely?

Consider your personal situation and determine if you can attend face-to-face classes. If you determine you should not attend classes on campus, review the course schedule and choose classes that are held online, remote, or that are HyFlex.

Though HyFlex courses have an in-person component, many can be modified to 100-percent remote delivery by working with the instructor.

What if I can’t complete the semester?

If you realize you are unable to complete the semester in person once it begins, contact your department head to see if there are any options to complete the course remotely.

How do I withdraw from a class remotely?

Review the Registrar's Office Remote Registration Processes page for information on how to withdraw.

How do I report an absence from class?

If you anticipate or have unplanned absences from class, notify the Dean of Students via the Report an Absence form. Absences may be for medical, personal, or other emergency reasons. The Dean of Students will receive your information, contact you, and work with you and your professor to minimize interruption to your coursework. If you have questions about reporting your absence, email deanofstudents@louisiana.edu.

Are virtual tutoring services available?

Yes. The Learning Center has transitioned to virtual tutoring and is available to assist students in a variety of courses.

Tutoring will be conducted through Zoom, a free online meeting software. Online meetings will be accessible via computers, mobile phones, and smart tablets.

Learn more about virtual tutoring services.

What are the expectations for students learning remotely?

Whether you are taking classes remotely or on campus, you must adhere to the Code of Student Conduct, Student Handbook, and Academic Dishonesty Policy.

Code of Student Conduct >
Student Handbook >
Academic Dishonesty Policy >

The Student Rights and Responsibilities office urges you to become aware of the guidelines and protocols set in place by the University and/or instructors.

How does the University's transition to remote course delivery affect graduate students?

The Graduate School is posting guidelines and updates for graduate students on their website.

Are there plans to continue using an alternate grading option, like pass/fail? How does pass/fail affect my TOPS or financial aid?

Due to the impact of instructional transition related to the COVID19 pandemic, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette has adopted grading policy modifications for students and courses in the Fall 2020 semester. Emergency grades are not in effect for the Spring 2021 semester or future semesters.

Read the announcement about pass/fail and other options.

Gov. John Bel Edwards signed a proclamation to ensure college students are able to meet eligibility requirements for the Taylor Opportunity Program for Students. According to the proclamation, current TOPS recipients should be aware that:

  • Continuous enrollment, academic year earned hours, and GPA requirements are suspended for the 2019-2020 academic year.
  • A "P" grade counts as a completed course and does not affect the student's cumulative GPA.
  • An "F" grade does affect the student's cumulative GPA.

Congress passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act into law. The CARES Act includes information related to student loan payment deferral and federal loans and Pell grants.

The University of Louisiana System has listed the highlights of the governor's proclamation and the CARES Act on a flyer. View the flyer and learn more about TOPS and the CARES Act.

I'm going to be a freshman. How do I attend New Student Orientation and register for classes?

Learn more about New Student Orientation.

Is the IT Service Desk open?

The IT Service Desk is open with limited personnel from 7:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. in Stephens Hall, room 110. You can also receive IT support by calling (337) 482-4357, emailing ithelp@louisiana.edu, or visiting the Service Desk's website.

Is Dupré Library open?

The Library will be open at 75% capacity for the summer semester. Face coverings will be required in all areas of the Library and users will be expected to practice appropriate physical distancing.

Learn more about the library's services for spring.

Will the childcare center reopen when students to return?

The Child Development Center is open as of June 8, 2020. Visit the website for information on how the Center is addressing COVID-19 health and safety.

What should I do if I need accommodations for my remote classes?

For some students, the switch to remote instruction will create barriers and will require new accommodations. If that is the case for you, you can request new accommodations.

You can register with the Office of Disability Services to request accommodations.

I'm deaf and need ASL interpreting or captioning for my remote classes. What should I do?

If you need remote ASL interpreting services or Captioning please let Dr. Landry know immediately at carol.landry@louisiana.edu and she will work to provide accommodations.

I have a disability and I work with a volunteer notetaker for my classes. How should I get my notes?

Contact the Office of Disability Services directly at the beginning of the semester at disability@louisiana.edu. We know and understand that there will be unique circumstances for some of you depending on your disability, approved accommodations, and changes in instructional methods.

We will handle each situation as it arises and we ask you to be patient as we work through them.

My class is meeting on campus this semester and I need assistance with testing from the Office of Disability Services. What should I do?

If you are a student or instructor in a summer course that has been approved to meet face-to-face by the Provost and need assistance in testing on campus, contact the Office of Disability Services at disability@louisiana.edu.

Will the ODS testing center be open?

As long as the University is holding face-to-face classes, the ODS testing center will be open to students who need testing accommodations. Remember to schedule your exam with ODS via your AIM account through ULink at least 3 days prior to the test.

Students will schedule exams per normal procedure but we will be adjusting the seating in our testing center for social distancing. 

  • Students will not be allowed to congregate in the lobby of the testing center.  Please wait outside of the testing center to check-in for your test. There will be a check-in desk with someone who provides instructions. 
  • You will be required to wear a mask in our office and in the testing center.