Once the diagnoses were made, the University’s COVID-19 Student Affairs Response Team activated protocols that outline student care while also protecting the health of the campus community.
The Dance Guild at UL Lafayette is gearing up for the summer with a variety of dance classes for all ages.
Two-week intensive classes start June 5 and end June 16. Creative Movement will be held at 3 p.m. for children ages 4 to 6 years. Tap will be held at 4 p.m. for children 6 to 9 years. Both classes are held Monday through Friday, cost $65 and are taught by Heather C. Smith.
Other dance classes this summer include:
• Mommy and Me Movement: June 29 - Aug. 10. This class will be taught on Thursdays at 10 a.m. by Lynne Clearfield. Cost is $45 and ages are 1 - 3 years.
• Pre-Ballet (skill building course): July 10 - Aug. 3. This class will be taught on Mondays at 3 p.m. for children ages 4 - 5 years. A second class will be taught on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. for children ages 6 - 7 years. Cost for each is $26 and Melinda Hebert is the teacher.
• Jazz (skill building course): July 10 - Aug. 3. This class will be held on Thursdays at 3 p.m. for children ages 8 - 10 years. Cost is $26 and the class will be taught by Melinda Hebert.
• Beginning Ballet: June 5 - July 14 (for all ages). This class will be held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by Janet McZeal. Cost is $117.
• Creative Movement: June 5 - July 14 (for all ages). This class will be held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m. and taught by Janet McZeal. Cost is $117.
• Beginning Ballet: June 5 - July 14 (for all ages). This class will be held on Thursdays at 1 p.m. and taught by Janet McZeal. Cost is $71.
• Creative Movement: June 5 - July 14 (for all ages). This class will be held on Thursdays at 2 p.m. and taught by Janet McZeal. Cost is $71.
Classes are 50 minutes each. Registration can be mailed to UL Lafayette Enrollment Services, Nyetta Meaux, P.O. Box 44652, Lafayette, LA 70504-4652. Walk-in registration available 30 minutes prior to first class.
All classes are held in McLaurin Gym at the corner of Boucher and McKinley streets, next to the Student Union. Classes will be in Studio 103. Parking is available at the Student Union parking lot. Tickets may be stamped by the dance department for free parking.
The Dance Guild seeks to provide affordable dance classes to children and adults of all ages. Classes have traditionally been offered in creative dance, ballet, modern and choreography. New offerings include tap, jazz, toddler and senior classes.
The small class sizes provide one-on-one contact between the students and instructors. In all classes, self-discovery and independent thinking are balanced with an emphasis of developing social skills while acquiring dance technique.
Instead of using classes to prepare for a dance review, each class builds on the one before and parents are invited to attend the open class at the end of the semester.
Teachers are dance majors who have completed the Dance Pedagogy course and an internship. They are supervised by Lynne Clearfield, dance department instructor.
For more information, contact Clearfield at email@example.com or call 237-4820.