His 46-year tenure at the University began in 1963. He became vice president for Student Affairs in 1974, and held the position until his 2009 retirement.
The University of Louisiana System Foundation awarded over $11,000 in scholarships to 15 education majors including five students from UL Lafayette.
Judith DeValcourt, Jaime Hebert, Jenna Lachney, Kristin Spivey and Alix Stelly each received The Tom and Kyle Clausen Scholarship valued at $750.
These scholarships will provide the students with financial help in addition to important professional development. The UL System will follow these teachers as they enter the classroom and provide support to ensure they have the tools needed to be successful, to help them stay in this profession and to enable their students to achieve high standards.
“ These honorees represent a higher caliber of new teachers entering classrooms today. By offering them assistance in their critical years of teaching, the System is assisting in their success as well-prepared teachers in Louisiana schools,” said UL System President Sally Clausen.
Since 2002, 37 scholarships have been awarded, which were established in memory of Thomas Clausen, Sally Clausen's brother, and his son Kyle. Thomas Clausen, who began his career as a teacher, was Louisiana's Superintendent of Education between 1984 and 1988. Prior to his death from cancer, Clausen and his family established a scholarship fund to recognize outstanding teacher candidates and encourage them in their careers.
“ My family believed that all children can learn if they receive the proper guidance and tools. Our universities understand the value of good teachers and are committed to guaranteeing the teachers they produce,” said President Clausen.
A panel of judges selected the 15 honorees out of a record 51 applicants based on applications, letters of recommendation and essays about the importance of the teaching profession. Eligible students had at least a 3.0 grade point average and a minimum of 45 college credit hours.
“ This scholarship means a lot to me, my family, my students, and the state of Louisiana,” said Jamie Breaux Fonseca, a former scholarship recipient and current teacher who addressed today's honorees. “It is not just a monetary gift but also a promise of continued support.”
The Tom and Kyle Clausen Scholarships are funded through private donations to the UL System Foundation.
The 2006-2007 Tom and Kyle Clausen Scholarship winners are:
• Krystal Laine Battaglia of Holden, LA; Southeastern Louisiana University
• Cynthia Lynell Butler of Summit, MS; Southeastern Louisiana University
• Judith W. DeValcourt of Lafayette, LA; University of Louisiana at Lafayette
• Jaime Roy Hebert of Kaplan, LA; University of Louisiana at Lafayette
• Shannon DeBlanc Hill of Amite, LA; Southeastern Louisiana University
• Lindsey Blair Keith of Monroe, LA; Louisiana Tech University
• Jenna Michelle Lachney of Mansura, LA; University of Louisiana at Lafayette
• Revé Lynn-Marie Link of Covington, LA; Southeastern Louisiana University
• Frances Pasha' Moore of Hodge, LA; Grambling State University
• Meggan Lynn Peltier of Rayne, LA; McNeese State University
• Joby Len Richard of Creole, LA; Northwestern State University
• Lynell Parfait Rogers of Houma, LA; Nicholls State University
• Denise M. Savoy of Loranger, LA; Southeastern Louisiana University
• Kristin Michelle Spivey of Youngsville, LA; University of Louisiana at Lafayette
• Alix Beth Stelly of New Iberia, LA; University of Louisiana at Lafayette