Most of the content below was derived from the Centennial Celebration site (no longer active) that was created to celebrate the University's first 100 years. Buildings featured here are those which are or were part of SLII, SLI, USL, and/or UL Lafayette.
(Old) Martin Hall, the first building erected at UL Lafayette, was completed in 1901 as the main administration building. It was named for state Sen. Robert Martin, who introduced and fought diligently to pass the bill that called for the creation of an institution of higher learning in one of the parishes of the 13th District.
Foster Hall, the second building on campus, was originally the girls' dorm. Completed in 1902, it was named for Gov. Murphy J. Foster. He signed the bill into law that created SLII and appointed the first Board of Trustees. Foster's grandson, M.J. "Mike" Foster III, served as governor of Louisiana. The hall was renovated in 1969 for use by Student Services; it now houses financial aid offices.
DeClouet Hall was completed in 1905 and was named for Paul DeClouet, a state legislator from St. Martinville. A member of a prominent Lafayette family, he was instrumental in obtaining early financial assistance for SLII. When DeClouet was built, it replaced Foster Hall as the girl's dormitory. DeClouet now houses University College.
Brown Ayres Hall was completed in 1910 and named for a member of the first Board of Trustees. A professor at Tulane University, Ayres eventually became president of the University of Tennessee. The building served as the arts and crafts center. It was destroyed by fire in 1972 and was not replaced.
Girard Hall was named for Crow Girard, former president of the Bank of Lafayette, and his mother, Mrs. Maxim A. Girard. The Girards donated the 25 acres that comprised UL Lafayette's original campus. Girard Hall was completed in 1923. It housed classrooms and the library; it is now used primarily for psychology classes.
Lee Hall was built in 1925 for science classes. It was named for James A. Lee, a druggist and member of the Board of Trustees at the time it was built. Lee Hall once housed the College of Agriculture and School of Home Economics. It was recently renovated and reopened in the fall of 1996. The building is now used by Junior Division.
Buchanan Hall was built in 1927 as a girls' dorm. It was named after Capt. John C. Buchanan, a member of the first Board of Trustees and the surveyor who designed the circular driveway in front of Martin Hall. It underwent extensive renovations in 2012, reopening in July of 2013. It now houses the Offices of University Housing, Orientation, and Student Life & Conduct.
Judice-Rickels Hall was constructed as a boys' dorm in 1927. It was first named in honor of the family of Alcide Judice, a Scott, Louisiana, businessman and philanthropist. In 2003, it was renamed Judice-Rickels Hall to also honor the late Milton Rickels, a UL Lafayette professor of English from 1957 to 1986. The building houses the University's Honors Program.
O.K. Allen Hall was completed in 1935 for use as a dining hall. It was named in honor of Oscar K. Allen, governor of Louisiana at the time it was built. Allen was also the former chairman of the Louisiana Highway Commission. The building now houses the Saucier Wellness Center.
Harris Hall was built in 1939 to serve as a girls' dorm. It was named for Thomas H. Harris, former state superintendent of education, former president of the Louisiana Teacher's Association and an educator of national prominence. He had a close professional relationship with UL Lafayette president Lethar Frazar that led to the acquisition of WPA funds for physical expansion of the Institute.
Earl K. Long Gymnasium was finished in 1939 and named for Earl K. Long, governor of Louisiana at the time. Long's older brother, Huey P. Long, was former governor of Louisiana and a U.S. senator.
Bittle Hall was the last building on UL Lafayette's campus to be named after a living individual. Completed in 1939, it was named for Atwood William "Buddy" Bittle, business manager of the university from 1922-1941. Bittle originally came to UL Lafayette in 1910 as a mathematics professor and was once the principal at the Washington, Louisiana, high school. The building is now used as the University Post Office and University Police headquarters.
Broussard Hall was named for Robert F. Broussard, who served nine consecutive terms in the U.S. House of Representatives and one term as a U.S. senator. It was completed in 1940 for use as the physics building.
McNaspy Stadium-Dormitory was built in 1940 and named in honor of Clement J. McNaspy, first regular football coach and first athletic director at SLI. The structure included a dormitory in addition to functioning as a stadium. McNaspy spent 25 years as a UL Lafayette chemistry and physics professor; football, track and basketball coach; and an administrator. He was known as the "The Father of Southwestern Athletics." After a new stadium (Cajun Field) and separate track facility were constructed, McNaspy Stadium was no longer needed for NCAA competition and was demolished in 2000.
Mouton Hall is affectionately called "Old" Moutoun Hall to distinguish it from F.G. Mouton Hall. It was named for members of the Mouton family of Lafayette. Alexander Mouton was the ninth governor of Louisiana and Julian Mouton was a member of the Circuit Court of Appeals. Other members of the prominent family donated land and money to aid UL Lafayette's growth. Mouton Hall was completed in 1940. Departments housed there include: Criminal Justice, Sociology & Anthropology, and, Political Science.
Stephens Hall, dedicated as Stephens Memorial Library, was named for Edwin Lewis Stephens, UL Lafayette's first president. Constructed in 1940, it was the first building solely dedicated to functioning as a library. It now serves as one of the University's computing centers. Read more about Stephens Hall's history.
McLaurin Gym was named for Miss Hugh D. McLaurin, a pioneer in the field of health and physical education in Louisiana who began teaching at UL Lafayette in 1902. The building was completed in 1940.
Parker Hall was completed in 1940 for engineering and industrial arts classrooms. It was named for John M. Parker, a former governor of Louisiana who initiated a severance tax to benefit education in the state.
Evangeline Hall was named in honor of Longfellow's poem, "Evangeline," which tells the tale of two lovers separated during the Acadian's expulsion from Acadie (later known as Nova Scotia) in the 1750s. It was constructed in 1940 as a girls' dorm.
Hamilton Hall was built in 1940 as a elementary school and was used for that purpose until the late 1970s. It was renovated in 1986 and reopened in 1988. It was named in honor of Fuller M. Hamilton, former dean of the College of Education and a former superintendent of the Calcasieu Parish school system. He was an advocate of equal education for all students. Hamilton was a faculty member for 23 years. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1922 when the insititution was known as the Southwestern Louisiana Institute.
Burke-Hawthorne Hall was first named for Walter Burke of New Iberia, a former member of the state Board of Education. It was renamed Burke-Hawthorne Hall in 1997 in honor of Doris Hawthorne, a generous benefactor to UL Lafayette. The building was completed in 1940 and it houses the communication and communicative disorders programs.
Saucier Infirmary was completed in 1940 and named in honor of Merrick Edmond Saucier, a prominent physician and former member of the state Board of Education. It was demolished in 2013 to make room for the new Student Union construction.
Blackham Coliseum was named for Stafford Morgan Blackham, former professor of animal husbandry and head of SLI's Department of Animal Husbandry. He began his career at UL Lafayette as a professor in 1935 and served as dean from 1942 until his death in 1945. The coliseum, completed in 1948, was dedicated to be used for livestock shows, basketball games, and civic exhibitions.
Huger Hall was built in 1950 as a girls' dorm. It was named for Emily Hamilton Huger, head of SLI's Art Department in the 1930s. She was a chief supervisory aide under the Surgeon General's Department of Washington, DC, directing the vocational training of more than 4,000 war-injured soldiers at five army hospitals, including Walter Reed Hospital in Washington. She had open houses at her home for students, and it was stated that "the coffee pot was never empty."
Randolph Hall was one of three girls' dorms completed in 1950. It was named for Beverly Randolph, wife of SLII's first president, Dr. E.L. Stephens. A member of the institution's first faculty, she taught drawing and gymnastics. The hall was also named in honor of the couple's eldest daughter, Beverly Randolph Stephens.
Baker Hall was constructed in 1950 as a girls' dorm and was named for Elizabeth Fowles Baker. She was a member of the first faculty and matron of the girls' dorm.
Montgomery Hall was completed in 1952 as the chemistry building. It was named in honor of William A. Montgomery, a Lafayette druggist who was a member of the state legislature and the state Board of Education. He was born in Lafayette Parish and owned and operated Owl Drug Company.
French House, La Maison Acadienne Francaise, was acquired in 1955 from the heirs of Mrs. M. Meyers, formerly Louise Bendel. The Admissions Office is located in this building.
Madison Hall was completed in 1957 as the engineering and geology building. It was named for H. Flood Madison, a past president of the state Board of Education and president of Bastrop Bank from 1900-1926.
Olivier Hall was constructed in 1957 as part of the Student Center complex. It was named for J. Raoul Olivier, a Board of Trustees member. The building was renamed Lafayette Hall after a new residence hall was named after Mr. Olivier.
Coronna Hall, part of the Student Center complex completed in 1957, was named for B. N. Coronna. He was a financial supporter of UL Lafayette during its formative years. His daughter Ula was one of the first graduates of UL Lafayette. Coronna Hall was renamed Vermilion Hall after a new residence hall was named after Mr. Coronna.
Guillory Hall was the main component of the Student Center complex constructed in 1957. It was named for Isom J. Guillory of Ville Platte, a politician, attorney and judge. Guillory Hall was also referred to as the Memorial Student Center. The hall, which faces Cypress Lake, housed a bowling alley for years. It is now the temporary home of the dining hall while the Student Union is undergoing construction.
Caffery Hall was completed as a men's dorm in 1957. It was named for Charles D. Caffery, one of the first to donate money to the university. Caffery was a member of UL Lafayette's Board of Trustees from 1905-1909 and was related to Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. Caffery Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.
McCullough Hall was completed as a men's dorm in 1963. It was named in honor of Rexford C. McCullough, former dean of men and director of publicity. He was also a state senator and vice president of the SLI Alumni Association. McCullough graduated from UL Lafayette in 1931. McCulough Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.
Roy Hall was named for J. Arthur Roy, former member of the executive committee of UL Lafayette. It was constructed as a men's dorm in 1957. Roy Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.
Billeaud Hall was completed in 1958 and renovated in 1978. It serves as the biology lab building and was named in honor of Martial Billeaud Sr. of Broussard, a sugar planter and founder of Billeaud Sugar Factory.
Dupré Library was constructed in 1960; the second and third floors were added in 1967. It was named in honor of Edith Garland Dupré, one of the original members of the SLII faculty and head of its English Department. She began teaching English and French in 1901 and was described by a student as "the mainstay of Southwestern, without whom we'd perish." She also served as dean of women. Dupré retired from UL Lafayette in 1944.
Bonin Hall is a girls' dorm named for state Sen. Elmore Bonin of St. Martinville, who in 1960 introduced the bill in the state senate for SLI to become the University of Southwestern Louisiana. The hall was completed in 1962.
(New) Martin Hall was built in 1963 and designated as the administrative center of campus when Old Martin Hall was demolished due to old age and deterioration. Upon completion, it housed the president's office, all academic and personnel deans, the registrar and the business and purchasing offices. Martin Hall continues to serve as the nucleus of administrative activity on UL Lafayette's campus.
(F.G.) Mouton Hall was completed in 1963 as part of the New Martin Hall. It was designated as the College of Commerce building; business classes are still held there. The building was named in honor of Franklin Gardner Mouton of Maurice, vice-president of the Board of Trustees from 1913-22.
Angelle Hall is UL Lafayette's music building. Completed in 1965, it was named in honor of Robert J. Angelle. Angelle was a successful banker in the Lafayette area who served in the Louisiana House of Representatives for 30 years.
Voorhies Hall, built in 1965 as a men's dormitory, was named in honor of Edward G. Voorhies. He was an original donor of money to UL Lafayette so it could be located in Lafayette. Voorhies Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for the new Child Development Center.
Wharton Hall is UL Lafayette's biology and nursing building. Constructed in 1967, it was named in honor of Vernon L. Wharton, a professor of history, sociology, and former dean of Liberal Arts. Wharton was described by former UL Lafayette President Joel L. Fletcher as "a good and brilliant man on whom we depended heavily."
Doucet Hall was completed in 1967 as the math and education building. It was the last building erected in the UL Lafayette quadrangle. It's named for Maxim D. Doucet, a former department head of elementary education, former dean of the College of Education and former professor of administration and technique of teaching.
Bancroft was a women's dorm built in 1968 and named after Anne Delie Bancroft. She was an assistant professor of English in 1920s and the first official dean of women at UL Lafayette. It was demolished in 2013 to make way for new residence halls.
Denbo Hall was built in 1968. It is named in honor of Anna Margaret Denbo, an accomplished writer who organized support for the passage of a parish tax in the late 1890s for the first public school in Lafayette. It was demolished in 2013 to make way for new residence halls.
Stokes Hall, named for William Bee "Daddy" Stokes, was constructed in 1968 as a men's dorm. Stokes was head of the Mathematics Department in the 1920s and 1930s.
Student Union was built in 1971 to accommodate the needs of the growing student body at UL Lafayette. It includes a cafeteria, seminar room, ballroom, auditorium and numerous meeting rooms. This Student Union was demolished in 2013 and the new $36 million Union opened to the campus in early 2015.
Griffin Hall was built in 1972 as the liberal arts building. It was named for Harry L. Griffin, who worked at UL Lafayette for 39 years. For 30 of those years, he was dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Griffin came to UL Lafayette in 1912 as a professor of history and political science. He helped start the popular Camellia Pageant and wrote a history of the City of Lafayette.
Fletcher Hall is the art and architecture building. Finished in 1971, it is named in honor of Joel Lafayette Fletcher, UL Lafayette's third president. He became a faculty member in 1920 and served as president from 1941-1966. Fletcher created Cypress Lake by flooding Cypress Grove.
Bourgeois Hall, erected in 1986, is the physical education building named for Vesta Richard Bourgeois. She began teaching at UL Lafayette in 1927 and she served as head of the Physical Education department from 1939-68. In 1961, she was the first woman to receive the Louisiana Athletic Association Honor for service to high school athletics.
Rougeou Hall is named in honor of Clyde Lee Rougeou, UL Lafayette's fourth president. He was head of the Animal Husbandry department prior to serving as president from 1966-1974. Rougeou Hall serves as the engineering and industrial technology building and houses the Apparel Computer Integrated Manufacturing Center (ACIM) and the Louisiana Productivity Center.